Saturday, July 5, 2008

most excellent



(First of all let me just say that I have no idea why the copy is all underlined here. I can't seem to find what to click to fix it:)) I started watching the HBO series John Adams the other night. Awesome! I read the book last year and, from what I remember, this has stayed very close if not completely true to David McCullugh's words and vision. Paul Giamati is brilliant as is David Morse as General Washington. Highly recommend! Although remember that it is HBO and you will probably want to fast forward through some parts.

Also for the 4th of July we had the not so anual anymore Bennett Theodore Peterson Family Reunion. That's my grandpa on my dad's side. He died in about 1957. He was the father of 15 children next to the last of whom was my dad Bennett Pulley Peterson. Needless to say, this used to be a huge affair that in its heyday lasted for 3 days with 100s of attendees. There were picnics and carnival games, a skit night, and fireside. These were some of the funnest times of my childhood. Being with my aunts on my dad's side were the most treasured of times. These ladies were (and are—a couple are still with us) hilarious, beautiful, warm, loving and I loved them with all my heart. Jane, Dorothy, Jeanette, Ann and Pricilla were the favorites, but also loved were Emma, Mary, Eva, and Ruth. While my mother was the main example of womanhood in my life and I loved her dearly, these women were different from her in ways that I marvelled at. They were hilarious, always quick to laugh, have fun, and show their love. They always looked beautiful and were the first women I knew who wore perfume! An example of what I love about them was one year when Aunt Pricilla (aka Auntie Griselda) while in her late sixties or early seventies came down the slide at the park wearing sparkly, springy antannae on her head and proceeded to wear them for the rest of the day.

The highlight of the reunion these days is the 100 ft waterslide that we set up for the kids on the hill behind the bowery of cousin Dar's wardhouse. It is awesome and I'm proud to say I was the only adult to take a couple of trips down it. That was for you Aunt Pricilla. Hope you were watching.

1 comment:

L&H&Q&E said...

You're awesome. OF COURSE you went down the slide -- what, there's a slide and you're not gonna go down it? COME ON. :)

Am hoping to see you again sometime soon -- it's been much too long. YOU TOO are hilarious and lovely.