Thursday, June 12, 2008

multi-tasking

So last night I went to Barnes and Noble to look for a book for my dad for Father's Day. As I was perusing the American History section I was privy to one side of a phone conversation being had by a man seated around the corner in fiction. It went something like this.
"I'm just sayin' when I needed you, you weren't there and now I have nothing."
Flip
Flip
"I'm just a man of honor. That's my code."
Flip
Flip
"All I needed from you was rent for one month and now I have nothing."
Flip
Flip
The flips are the turning pages of the comic book he was reading WHILE having this conversation. (I had to glance around the corner.) If I would have made myself more conspicuous I could have made out the words of the woman he was having this conversation with as she was speaking rather loudly on the phone. The book I wanted wasn't in the section, but I continued to peruse hoping to be there for some resolution to this man's predicament or the comic book, whichever came first. Unfortunately, the conversation never advanced beyond this loop of words and I retreated to the children's section. Judging by the pitch and tone of the woman's voice on the other end of the phone, maybe I would prefer to be reading a comic book while talking to her too.

No comments: