Friday, December 19, 2008

yellowstone meets appalachia


Aaron Copland's Appalachian Spring was playing on the radio on the drive into work today. This is probably my favorite piece of music of all time. It takes me to very specific places and times in my mind and heart. My parents had a time-share in a cabin in Island Park, ID and we would go there for a couple of weeks every summer at least. The cassette of Appalachian Spring was always popped into the tape deck as we entered the West entrance of the park. The crescendos and decrescendos of the music served as soundtrack to the majestic vistas that unfolded to us around each bend in the road. Now that we don't have the time-share anymore and some of those sharing the trips are gone, this amazing piece of music is always a quick way for me to be transported back to that beautiful place and great times.